Re: cups daemon printer problem

From: Terry <tthomascik@alaskalife.net>
Date: Tue Oct 11 2005 - 19:36:16 AKDT

On Tuesday 05 July 2005 11:08 am, you wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> > Newby, but reading mauals. My printer was working fine, but a week after
> > a download upgrade, my printer won't print.
> >
> >Message reads - cups daemon failed during initialization.
> >
> >Does YAST repair fix this issue?
> >
> >Any help appreciated.
> >
> >Terry T
> >---------
> >with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>
> Had this problem sometime back - the fix with Yast is as follows
> You said you are a newbie so here is the simplest solution...
>
> You will need to reinstall the original version of cups - so you will
> need to have the your install disks.
> then go to "Add and Remove programs" (under software)
> go to search for packages
> search for "cups"
> Make a note of all cups items selected
> uncheck all checked selections
> click "Accept" (down at the bottom right corner of the
> screen) - this will remove all of cups from your computer.
> When this is done then once again search for "cups" as you did
> above.
> Then recheck all cups packages from your notes.
> Again click "Accept" This will reinstall cups from your
> disks.
> When this is done - reinstall your printer.
>
> All should be well with the world again! However, do not let your
> system to update cups for at least a month or two over the web, give
> SuSE time to fix the problem.
I had a friend who was just visiting who knows linux very well. Just before he
flew back late sat night he did as you suggested. He unchecked the cups boxes
etc. and reinstalled cups. He said he saw the previous error message and now
it should work just fine. The next day I hooked up the printer, and it read
the same error of cups failing as before.
You said to reinstall the printer. I did that at the configure in last, but on
the test page print --cups daemon failed to initialize . My lexmark z42
works on my windows xp side. Any other thoughts out there.

I had to work late last friday and missed the meeting, and this friday and
next friday I can't attend until after the 25th. I'll get to the next
meeting after that weekend.