Re: CompUSA USB 2 & firewire combo card

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 12:16:22 AKDT

jonr wrote:

>Damien Hull wrote:
>

>>I've been having doubts about this card. The packaging says it's USB 2
>>but according to lspci 3 of the 4 usb ports are usb 1.1 and one is usb 2.
>>

>The reason I never buy those cards is because it shares the speed
>between all ports rather than each port being full speed. If they are
>claiming it as USB2 because only one port is actually USB2 then it is
>just another scam from CompUseless, much like their warranty.
>
>Speaking of the warranty they offer and all the other neat little
>incentives they give you. I bought a laptop there recently, they offered
> for an extra $25 bucks to load all software in the packaging and burn
>it in over a 24 hour period, um..no. They also offered the "CompUSEless
>extended warranty" because the manufactuers warranty lasted only 90
>days. The manufactuers warranty last 1 year on all hardware the 90 days
>is for the software only. The software that they would load for me and
>"burn in" was already loaded, what were they going to install?
>
>I asked them if I purchased the warranty if they could gaurantee at most
>a 2 week turn around for my laptop. According to them this was an
>impossiblity to ensure because of other equipment they might have that
>would be ahead of mine and takes priority. They also said that nobody
>could gaurantee this because of their reasoning.
>
>These guys are so full of it I could barely stand the stench of standing
>there and talking with them.
>
>The software was already loaded, no need to install anything. The
>manufactuers warranty is for 1 year and I can extend it. The manufactuer
>will have a far quicker turnaround on repairs even if I have to ship
>this thing to the moon. Case in point, my work laptop was sent in for
>repairs it took almost 6 weeks before I got it back.
>
>These guys are snake oil salesmen preying on the unsuspecting public who
>do not have a clue they are being ripped off.
>
>Sorry for the exagerrated email and going off of Damiens OP but just
>reading what he is experiencing disgust me.
>

>Marketing, where the rubber meets the sky.
>
>Jon
>
>---------

Thanks for the post. Now I know why 3 of the 4 ports are showing up as
usb 1.1. They really are usb 1.1 ports. I wonder if I can take the card
back and tell them it's crap?

Over all I think this card is fine for what were doing but it would be
nice to have usb 2 speed on all ports. More then a few of use have usb
drives and I would hate to see someone get stuck transferring data at
1.1 speed.