fun w/ suse

From: Jim Gribbin <Jim@JimGribbin.com>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 22:36:16 AKDT

I finally figured out something thats been driving me nuts since I
started using a suse 9.2 system at work a while back.

When I first installed, I set up the Gnome desktop. 'alt-[anything]'
didn't work. If I pressed the ctl key, the mouse didn't move. All these
things worked fine if I switched to the KDE desktop.

I tried KDE for a while again, I still prefer Gnome.

I hadn't posted anything here, probably should have. I did mention this
to people at Fri. Linux, general consensus was that Gnome was, more or
less, broken under Suse.

Finally opened a problem ticket at Novel earlier today. I had bought
this from them after all and thought they owed me at least one support
question.

Afterwords, I was doing a little poking around Yast and noticed that my
video color depth was set to 16 bit. I had noticed this before, but as
I'm mostly doing office type work on this box, I hadn't bothered
changing it. I'm not doing any fancy graphics anyway. This time, I
remembered something I'd run across while doing Google searches on my
problem about issues with X unless the color depth was set to at least
24 bit. The problems didn't seem related to mine, so I had ignored them
at the time. This time though, something clicked. I changed the color
depth to 24 and all my keyboard problems seemed to go away.

I still don't know why color depth would affect Gnome and KDE
differently and even less of a clue what it has to do with my keyboard
and mouse. The color depth problems I had run across had to with
improperly rendering windows. Not displaying graphics on pages or
some-such.

--
Jim Gribbin
Prudential Jack White/Vista RE