Re: email questions

From: Tim Jordan <tim@pcs-alaska.com>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:54:01 AKDT

Matthew Schumacher wrote:

>bob@estimations wrote:
>

>>I'm toying with the idea of setting up an email server for a small business
>>(about 10 employees). Email is currently being provided by a remote
>>webhost. The webhost has
>>
>>I have a number of questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on.
>>
>>First of all, should I do it? What are the risks and/or rewards? I'm
>>thinking that the primary risk is that I don't know what I'm doing, so may
>>leave some security holes open in the installation, and that it might be a
>>hassle to maintain. But I'm thinking that the primary reward is that I can
>>more easily filter incoming mail, intercept spam at the server, etc.
>>
>>Secondly, if I *do* try it, what is a good package? I've been looking at
>>qmail, and even found a couple of installation howto's that look like
>>something I could do. e.g.
>>
>>http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html
>>http://www.qmailrocks.org/
>>
>>Does anyone have experience with qmail and/or others that they may like
>>better? Also, any recommendations on spam killer applications?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Bob Crosby
>>

>There are several advantages to having your own mail system:
>
>1. You can setup filters any way you want and you only worry about your
>own user base. Don't need email outside the country? Reject it. Don't
>want to allow zip files that are password protected? Drop them. The
>sky is the limits. I manage a bunch of mail systems, and the large ones
>get more spam simply because I can't ban away.
>
>2. You configure your own message size limits, message quotas, etc.
>Your not stuck with someone else's solution.
>
>As far as how hard is it to setup, depends on what your doing, and what
>package you go with.
>
>I personally stick with sendmail/mimedefang because you have completely
>control of very aspect of the filtering process. Want to reject mail
>sent to a specific address, but only if the user didn't authenticate, or
>if the message length is more than 10k, no problem, 5 lines of perl and
>it's done.
>
>I personally don't care for qmail because the default install doesn't
>filter mail until after it has been accepted. In order to fix this you
>need to use the qmail-queue patch which passes the message to another
>program during the smtp connection. While this works fine, it can cause
>a pretty large performance hit if the filter isn't real efficient or
>daemonized. The sendmail solution talks to its filters via tcp/local
>sockets so you can run the filter on another host if you want, and it's
>always in memory ready to go.
>
>Most find qmail much easier to setup, but I'm not sure it's any easier
>by the time you get all of the patchs and programs working together.

For qmail admins I would reccommend looking over John Simpsons site. He
has a combined qmail patch and much more..

http://www.jms1.net/qmail/ (PS: He won't let IE into his site).

>Now as far as Tim's comments with exchange, yes you can go that route,
>but you won't get anywhere close to the filtering ability unless you
>purchase filtering software such as GFI which is pretty expensive.

Yes, MS has released several "built-in" filtering options but they can
be difficult...

>Don't forget that you will be kicking it a couple of times a month to
>patch it, and backups can be very difficult and complex.
>
>Far and wide Microsoft software is easy to setup and get running, but
>when you start thinking about moving stuff to different hosts, backups,
>restoring data that has complex dependencies, ssl certs, etc, it starts
>getting every bit as complex as any unix solution.

Another good point..I have clients buy Veritas if they want to feel
confident about backing up the Exchange database. Your price just went
up about another $400-500 bucks.