Thanks, engineering nerds!

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 15:52:30 AKDT

So, I bought processors the other day.

Jim Wadell had so thoughtfully given me two (count 'em - TWO!) 733 MHz
CPUs for my system. I hadn't really been able to get them working. I
figured it was because they weren't matched (they weren't, sorry, JIm,
but do read on).

So, I eBayed, and got two matched 700 - correct bus speed, everything.

Nothing doin' - didn't work.

Turns out, I have a previous revision of a motherboard that does NOT
support voltages below 1.8v. Bummer!

But in my searches for newer BIOSes, I found this:

http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-ds.htm

Hmm, looks interesting...

I figured - what do I have to lose, apart from my motherboard,
processors, RAM, etc..

I take a pair of hemostats, and a staple... Pinch, cut, cram - pop in
Jim's CPUs - and viola! I boot to 550 MHz (5.5 multiplier, 100 MHz bus)
and I'm running on them as we speak.

Thank goodness for electrical engineers and wild types. Man, I'm happy.
As soon as I know this box is stable (I'm running those CPUs with a
shade too high a voltage, and I'm on a beta bios) I'll pop in those 700's...

woot!

Adam