Linux software RAID 5 recovery from a 1 TB Terastation

From: Matt Macander <mmacander@abrinc.com>
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 11:04:47 AKDT

We have a 1 TB Terastation from Buffalo Tech with a RAID 5 array, that
will no longer boot after a botched firmware upgrade.

The four 250 GB hard drives appear to be fine and I think that they are
a standard Linux software RAID array (formatted with XFS). I am trying
to mount the RAID array on a different computer so I can pull some data
off before sending the unit back to get replaced.

I tried hooking them up to another computer and booting into the latest
version of Knoppix. Unfortunately, the full capacity of the drives
doesn't seem to be available and the RAID array cannot be reconstructed...

hde: max request size 128 KiB
hde: 488397168 sectors (250059 MB) w/ 2048 KiB cache, CHS=30401/255/63
attempt to access beyond end of device
hde: rw=0, want=1460886144, limit=486962282
I/O error in filesystem ("hde3") meta-data deve hde3 blok
("XFS_read_buf") error 5 buf count 4096
and so on for drives hdf, hdg, and hdh

I could find the root partition hde1 from Knoppix and the raid config
file mdadm.conf:
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid5 num-devices=4 UUID=a39b74nb:...
devices=/dev/hda3,/dev/hdc3,/dev/hde3,/dev/hdg3

I think the problem may be the very large size of the drives, though I'm
not sure how to get around it. Any ideas?

Matt