Re: fedora core

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 13:18:56 AKDT

Tim Jordan wrote:

>Just curious what is so good about Fedora? I keep up on several
>projects and there always seems to be RPM's for Fedora. Last time I
>installed Fedora I think it was Fedora 2. I personally don't see the
>appeal...
>
>Lately I've been hearing more and more about CentOS. I understand this
>is based on Redhat Enterprise server. Anyone using CentOS?
>
>More than anything I'm just curious....
>
>Tim
>---------

I've been using Fedora since January. I chose Fedora over other
distributions for two reasons
1. It gives my clients the option of "FREE" as in Fedora or RH
Enterprise server with tech support.
2. It works well as a server and workstation.

Most Linux distributions will work fine as a server. Try to use them as
workstations and you will find them lacking in several areas. Fedora
will auto mount CD's, external USB drives, USB thumb drives and import
pictures off a digital camera with out extra configuration.
Distributions like Slackware and Debian won't do this by default.

Here's my short list of things I like about Fedora
1. Setup software RAID during the installation
2. You can setup Logical Volume Management during install ( this is very
nice )
3. Stable ( I've never had a problem )
4. Commercial support if you want it
5. There are a lot of RPM's for Fedora
6. Auto mount peripherals and CD's/DVD's

In the past I have run into drivers that were designed for Redhat only.
I bought a printer that said Linux on it. When I got it home I couldn't
get it to work on Debian. After doing a little research I found out that
the Linux driver only works on Redhat. This was a few years ago but
Redhat is a large company and vendors may decide to build Redhat only
drivers. Again, the printer said "Linux" but was Redhat only.

You might find some of this to be true of Suse. However, I get the
feeling that Novell isn't sure what to do with Linux. This could change.