Re: Blackberry in Alaska?

From: Anthony Valentine <amv@akvalentine.com>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 10:01:33 AKDT

I have a blackberry, and it works great. My service is with Cellular
One. Mine was purchased by my employer, so I don't know exactly what we
pay for it, but the line below has a price of $374 and the rumor around
the office is that it costs $90/month to use.

We are also using a Blackberry Enterprise Server to handle to e-mail,
but I am able to send messages directly to the device by mail to
<myphonenumber>@mobile.celloneusa.com.

I have also installed an SSH client on it, which allows me to log into
my server remotely even if there is no computer available. The font is
very small, but readable, if you don't have to spend all day looking at
it. The SSH client is using the BES server, but when I installed the
client, it gave me the option of using it's own TCP/IP stack, so
presumably the BES server isn't required for it to work.

Web browsing also works through the BES server.

Our BES server is just a small 1U Dell server. I don't know it's
specific specs, but I believe that it is a very low end server.

Here is the one that I have.
https://www.celloneusa.com/ECell/displayPhoneDetails.do?phoneId=1020
(used 99507 as my zip)

I don't know if it will work in Nome, but it does in Anchorage.

Feel free to contact me with specific questions; I'll help out as much
as I am able.

Anthony Valentine