Blackberry in Alaska?

From: Jim Dory <jim.dory@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2005 - 09:48:24 AKDT

My manager asked me to pull down some costs to supply him with a
blackberry device.

I know nothing of this technology so before I spend a lot of time
researching it, maybe someone knows the skinny on this that would save
me a bunch of time.

I have researched a bit: the archives a couple years ago stated the
service was not available in Alaska then. I also looked at a few
google pages and see that lots of changes have been made in the last
year or two that may have allowed use in Alaska.. I don't know.

Right now there is no budget cap, so if I need to tell him that I need
to launch a satellite or two, or put up an Alaska-wide network, go
ahead and give me those cost estimates - I'll happily pass them along
and see what happens. <grin>.

We are in Nome without roaming cellular access. (Works here but now
elsewhere). There is a city-wide internet-access wireless service that
someone is providing on a subscription basis here. So this may or may
not be feasible here, je ne sais pas. I guess there's lots of aspects
of the blackberry: phone, text messageing, web browsing, email (the
biggy) and phone, if not others.

Much obliged for any insigts! cheers, Jim