Re: ACS "tech support"

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 08:48:36 AKST

Joshua Kugler wrote:

>On Tuesday 22 March 2005 07:49, Tom wrote:
>

>>There *is* this (from the DSL terms of service):
>>
>>14. Restrictions
>>
>>The PIPE DSL prices are set much lower than SmartNet business services
>>as PIPE DSL customers are expected to use the service for primarily
>>personal and recreational purposes. PIPE DSL customers agree not to run
>>any commercial servers in conjunction with the Services, including but
>>not limited to, Web, game, Electronic Mail, NAT, DHCP and DNS servers.
>>Under no circumstances may any PIPE DSL customer run a streaming
>>audio/video server, "shout-cast" station, MP3 or other audio or video
>>download area with the PIPE DSL service. In the event any PIPE DSL
>>customer attempts to utilize a commercial or any above-mentioned server
>>on the network, or if Customer's personal servers generate more than
>>average amounts of traffic and/or bandwidth usage, ACS Internet may, at
>>its sole discretion, increase the fees associated with the Services, or
>>terminate the Services.
>>
>>Section 11 also says you're allowed one connection per DSL account, and
>>if they find you're using more than one simultaneous connection you can
>>be suspended immediately.
>>

>Yup, but that seems to be multiple PPPoE or dial-up connections. I've
>actually been told by ACS tech support that they support linksys routers (as
>in, they will help you troubleshoot the connection), so they don't mind you
>sharing the connection, they just don't want you connecting more than one
>time with one login.

When I talked to them, they suggested I use something 'simple', although
get this: when I had trouble (there was a bad piece of hardware on their
end initially that caused problems) they not only knew what linux was,
but they were /more/ than capable of supporting it! Wowie Zowie.

>>I'd say this qualifies as "prohibited" from a home account...
>>

>It doesn't say you can't, only that you shouldn't run commercial services off
>a consumer DSL account.

This is another thing I cleared - I asked them if it was ok if I ran
apache, sendmail (or qmail), and ssh on my home system, and assured them
I knew what I was doing - they said it was fine.

I'm really impressed by ACS, I must say.

Adam