Re: ACS "tech support"

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 08:55:11 AKST

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 08:48, Adam bultman wrote:
> >Yup, but that seems to be multiple PPPoE or dial-up connections. I've
> >actually been told by ACS tech support that they support linksys routers
> > (as in, they will help you troubleshoot the connection), so they don't
> > mind you sharing the connection, they just don't want you connecting more
> > than one time with one login.
>
> When I talked to them, they suggested I use something 'simple', although
> get this: when I had trouble (there was a bad piece of hardware on their
> end initially that caused problems) they not only knew what linux was,
> but they were /more/ than capable of supporting it! Wowie Zowie.

Yup, I've run across guys that really knew Linux, in fact, their support
manager (I think his name is David) *really* knows it, and I was going to get
a call back from him until we resolved the problem elsewhere. The guy on the
phone was just about ready to walk me through configuring rp-pppoe if I
hadn't had a linksys router that we were having connection problems with. I
was quite impressed.

Many moons ago, on their support.acsalaska.net page (or some such) they had a
link to rp-pppoe, so they've supported linux for a while.

> >It doesn't say you can't, only that you shouldn't run commercial services
> > off a consumer DSL account.
>
> This is another thing I cleared - I asked them if it was ok if I ran
> apache, sendmail (or qmail), and ssh on my home system, and assured them
> I knew what I was doing - they said it was fine.

Yup, I've been running ssh, e-mail, and apache off a home connection, and have
not gotten any flack for it.

> I'm really impressed by ACS, I must say.

Their internet service is good, I'll give them that. :)

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator