RE: Linux is boring

From: Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 17:22:06 AKST

You are either a whole lot luckier (or unluckier, depending on your
take) or smarter than I. =20

To quote an e-mail from a Linux (Xandros)-based client this morning:
"My computer won't boot AGAIN!! It froze up while I was trying to print
something off the internet and I tried to reboot it, but it would only
come up to that blue screen after signing in with my password. I tried
two more times, then I put in the Xandros disk. I did the "shift" key
thing and then told it to "restore". It asked me questions, like which
number do I want to restore (and only gave me a list of 1), so I picked
"1". Then it asked me if I was sure I wanted to restore and I said
"yes". Then it asked me if I wanted to change the command line, and I
said "no" (of course). It said that my system has been restored, told
me to remove the CD and hit the "enter" key to reboot. I did. Still
nothing."

They were trying to print the table of Iditarod mushers off the Iditarod
site...shame on them for printing an HTML table. I tried the Restore
option myself, and nothing. It accepts the login (both that user and
root) and then goes to a big happy blue screen and sits there for as
long as you have the patience to watch for. The Restore option had
worked the last time I got called to work on that machine, a couple
weeks ago. Then I tried the Rescue option, which dumped me into single
user mode. Poked around in the file system to see what I could see.
Nothing jumped out at me, so I tried Ye Olde Windows Trick of
reinstalling over the top. That seems to have worked, 'cept now I have
to reinstall Word Perfect and find the right printer driver again.
Arrrrrrgh!

So...question to the group: Any thoughts as to what I should'a
checked/done to try to recover from the error? =20

Thanks,

Stephen King
Instructor, Information Technology
Charter College