Re: Build your own box...

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 11:32:05 AKST

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Grant Stockly wrote:

> I like building kits. Broadcasting on FM without a license is illegal in
> the US. But that didn't keep me from buying a veronica PLL kit and
> assembling it. If I bought the uCSimm right now and had it in my hand, I
> have no projects to use it in. So I'd just stare at it, maybe compile worms
> for it. (the game). Think of all the joy you'd have spending hours placing
> and soldering components. ;)
>
> Anyway, give me an idea. Am I lonely with the idea of a computer anyone
> with an iron, maybe even a gun, could build? One that runs uCLinux, has a
> few hard drives, and goes on the net? bitmapped display's stink, but
> they'll be all right for pine and lynx. ;)

I'm sure there's more than a few of us who remember the glory days of
Heathkit, which did have kits for CPM boxes. :-) Ironically, I still have a
bunch of Heathkit breadboard trainers including the microprocessor one (I
think it has 6808). If you're serious about learning this stuff you should
really pick up some for your own. It's a lot faster (and a lot less wasted
components) to prototype circuits when you're not soldering them. Plus, if
you get really lazy and don't want to map and etch your circuit boards you can
get pre-etched boards that are set up just like breadboards.

Personally, I think learning how processors work at such a low level are a
huge advantage. I don't know much about uCLinux, but I probably have a bunch
of spare Z80s, 8085s and other processors around. Last last year I bought a
bunch of 16KB RAM chips as well. Assuming my daughter hasn't raided my office
and tried to make jewelry from them, I can donate some parts.

On an unrelated note: I have an AMD Duron-650 & 900 sitting here gathering
dust. Anyone want them?

        --Arthur Corliss