Re: [Fwd: Re: Mac: Mighty mini]

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:14:11 AKST

On 1/12/2005 3:04 PM, Ayden wrote:

> Now that we've established that it runs a weird mach kernel. Darwin
> doesn't have ports. And in my view, the only thing that makes a bsd

Darwin-specific implementations:
        http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
        http://freshmeat.net/projects/darwin_ports/

Multiplatform ([Free|Net|Open]BSD, Solaris, Linux, IRIS, AIX, etc.)
        http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html
        (from your friends at NetBSD)

> system, a bsd system is the kernel and the ports system. So basically,
> Darwin isn't anything like freebsd. It's just another opensource system.

IMHO, I think that there's more to the BSDs that their kernels and their
ports. Everything between is the OS proper -- the rc system, the design
philosophy, etc. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. :)

It's also important to point out here that Jordan Hubbard and others
have stated publicly that they periodically synchronize Darwin with
important improvements and fixes to FreeBSD as needed. Since the ports
and kernel are clearly not part of this process, they must be synching
something. :)

-royce