[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Mac: Mighty mini]]

From: Ayden <whitty@reeve.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:31:29 AKST

-- Desc: Forwarded message - Re: [Fwd: Re: Mac: Mighty mini]

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:27:52 -0900
From: Ayden <whitty@reeve.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Mac: Mighty mini]
To: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
 <1105574654.3974.9.camel@localhost.localdomain> <41E5BD53.1020001@alaska.net>

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:14 -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
> On 1/12/2005 3:04 PM, Ayden wrote:
>
> > Now that we've established that it runs a weird mach kernel. Darwin
> > doesn't have ports. And in my view, the only thing that makes a bsd
>
> Darwin-specific implementations:
> http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/darwin_ports/
>
> Multiplatform ([Free|Net|Open]BSD, Solaris, Linux, IRIS, AIX, etc.)
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html
> (from your friends at NetBSD)

Are these included in the main os? No, they are not. They do not exist
in the apple release of darwin. Can you even install freebsd without
ports?

> > system, a bsd system is the kernel and the ports system. So basically,
> > Darwin isn't anything like freebsd. It's just another opensource system.
>
> IMHO, I think that there's more to the BSDs that their kernels and their
> ports. Everything between is the OS proper -- the rc system, the design
> philosophy, etc. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. :)
>
> It's also important to point out here that Jordan Hubbard and others
> have stated publicly that they periodically synchronize Darwin with
> important improvements and fixes to FreeBSD as needed. Since the ports
> and kernel are clearly not part of this process, they must be synching
> something. :)

Isn't that how sco unix and bsd unix started out? Didn't they each sync
with each other on main improvements?