Re: [Fwd: Re: Mac: Mighty mini]

From: Ayden <whitty@reeve.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:04:14 AKST

Not that there's anything wrong with OS X, infact, it's a wonderful
system. It's great for desktop users and the like. But... There are a
few problems with it. For example, it's almost bsd but it's not. The
kernel that they designed (changed a bit of the mach kernel) isn't as
good where the linux kernel is strong. The way they do things, such as
IOKit is just weird. And no offense, I wouldn't try running OS X without
378mb of ram, without, you'll be chocking. I own an ibook, and i've
administered several apple computers. I wouldn't say linux is better on
apple hardware, but linux on ppc is exciting. I have a feeling that
those of you that switch from linux to OS X will find it rather boring,
everything ALWAYS works... (at least I did.)

Now that we've established that it runs a weird mach kernel. Darwin
doesn't have ports. And in my view, the only thing that makes a bsd
system, a bsd system is the kernel and the ports system. So basically,
Darwin isn't anything like freebsd. It's just another opensource system.

For those of you that are tired of messing around with stuff, and want a
system that just works, all the time. Get that, it's cheap, it's fast,
and it looks cool.

whitham