Re: Mac: Mighty mini

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 13:35:32 AKST

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 09:44 am, Joshua Kugler wrote:
> To add another "me too." Adding on a USB ethernet adapter, this
> would make a great (albeit powerful) firewall box. Maybe offer it to
> someone as a compile box. :) Small, quiet, and Linux fully
> supported. Hmm...are there USB Wifi adapters that allow you to use
> them in an access point (which mode do they have to support for that?
> Infrastructure? Managed?) And (even better) have external antenna
> connections?

Its cute, its cheap for: 1. an Apple, 2. PPC box.
There is http://www.pegasosppc.com/, which uses all PC compatible
hardware. Bigger box and more money but you are Free to tinker. BTW it
comes with Debian :)

> Looks promising:
> http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=139
> http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=208
> (no mention of modes, though)
>
> As to the RAM, take a look here:
>
> http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71708
>/wo/5dVIfq6i9Wnk20527kh9UNQtadD/3.0.11.1.0.6.29.1.0.21.3.1.1.0?52,22
>
> (Sorry for the gross URL)
>
> You can customize it. Up to 1GB RAM, and an 80GB hard drive.
> Man...I'd want to put a 400GB Hitachi in there...but maybe heat
> issues (as well as voiding my warranty).

It does us a laptop drive, same as the Powerbooks. You open the box, if
you can figure out how, and the warranty is void.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.