Re: Webserver/Firewall issue

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 23:28:40 AKST

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 22:57 -0900, bryan@ak.net wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 01:29:19AM -0500, Brian ThunderEagle <thundereagle@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I can access my web server perfectly fine within my network. I can also
> > access it perfectly fine although extremely slow when connected outside
> > the firewall. I can do nslookups on my domain name (which is
> > www.ragingstorm.net <http://www.ragingstorm.net/> ) and it returns the
> > correct IP address. Okay, everything seems pretty good. Now anyone else
> > who has tried to access my server can't access it. They receive the
> > correct IP address from the DNS records and they can ping me but
> > whenever they try to load the webpage they get that "DNS lookup" default
> > IE error page. I have had them try accessing the website using http,
> > https, and directly by IP address but it doesn't work for anyone except
> > me for some reason. I have ports 80 and 443 open open and forwarded on
> > my firewall.
>
> I can access the page from GCI's dialups, using command line, lynx, links
> text mode, links graphics mode, and mozilla. The last two timed out at
> first, but loaded on retry.
>
> Unfortunately, I can only provide data, not an answer. It seems like
> there could be a subtle DNS issue, but I'll have to leave diagnosis to
> the pros.

1st.try showed www.ragingstorm.net points to 216.244.108.53
2nd.try showed ns1.ragingstorm.net points to 66.227.163.176
3rd.try showed www.ragingstorm.net. A IN86400 66.227.163.176

Seems to be a DNS issue. Further queries show

ragingstorm.net. 81018 IN SOA ragingstorm.net. root.localhost.ragingstorm.net. 2 28800 7200 604800 86400
ragingstorm.net. 81019 IN NS ns1.ragingstorm.net.
ragingstorm.net. 81038 IN A 66.227.163.176

www.ragingstorm.net. 80975 IN A 66.227.163.176

Using a browser, only http://216.244.108.53/ resolves for my connectivity.

Dee