Re: Webserver/Firewall issue

From: <bryan@ak.net>
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 22:57:21 AKST

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 01:29:19AM -0500, Brian ThunderEagle <thundereagle@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can access my web server perfectly fine within my network. I can also
> access it perfectly fine although extremely slow when connected outside
> the firewall. I can do nslookups on my domain name (which is
> www.ragingstorm.net <http://www.ragingstorm.net/> ) and it returns the
> correct IP address. Okay, everything seems pretty good. Now anyone else
> who has tried to access my server can't access it. They receive the
> correct IP address from the DNS records and they can ping me but
> whenever they try to load the webpage they get that "DNS lookup" default
> IE error page. I have had them try accessing the website using http,
> https, and directly by IP address but it doesn't work for anyone except
> me for some reason. I have ports 80 and 443 open open and forwarded on
> my firewall.

I can access the page from GCI's dialups, using command line, lynx, links
text mode, links graphics mode, and mozilla. The last two timed out at
first, but loaded on retry.

Unfortunately, I can only provide data, not an answer. It seems like
there could be a subtle DNS issue, but I'll have to leave diagnosis to
the pros.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net