Re: toshiba satellite laptop A60 modem problem

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 22:31:24 AKST

I don't know what kind of winmodem is in the box. A fair number do have
Linux drivers and the outfit Linuxant developes drivers for Conexant
modems (this is the really short explanation). I have a Sony VAIO
PCG-F250 which has one of those modems.

When I first got the box, 1999 or so, there were no Linux drivers. I
didn't put Debian on it until I got fed up with W98. I still have it set
up for dual boot, but I haven't used W98 in some months. Anyhow, after I
put Debian on the box, I became interested in a driver. The free driver
from Linuxant worked so I sent the $14.95 in to get the code to unlock
its full 56K speed.

There may be other GPL'd drivers out now. Find out what the chip set is
and google for a driver. A little research pays large dividends.

URL's:

  http://www.linuxant.com/ a good place to start

  http://www.linmodems.org/ however, don't buy anything until you check
  this out.

Then you can google for specifics.

Cheerio! fgd.

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 08:23:22PM -0900, Terry Thomascik wrote:

> I just bought a Toshiba laptop A60 with windows XP and had SUSE 9.1
> installed on it. Unfortunately I can't dial out on it because it has a
> Winmodem I guess. Being a newbie, I have looked for drivers, but don't
> know if one exists. I need to keep the windows XP on it for my
> girlfriend. Could someone give me a solution for this problem? I could
> make a Friday night meeting. I'm running red hat 5.0 on my old computer
> and trying to learn it also.
> I'm trying to get on line and learn Linux on line from the website.Would
> appreciate any help. I probably won't get back too home until Thursday.
>
> Terry Thomascik

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667