Re: What has happened to the Open Group?

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 14:08:16 AKST

Well, I am delighted to report that this thread may be killed.

The note from Jeff Norton forced me to look at what my local boxen were
doing. Still nothing. This morning, after a good night's sleep and an
additional period for "beauty rest" (which I need badly), I decided to
take a look at my DLS/firewall-router.

After a little CLI spelunking (I fired up the old 15 inch monitor attached
to the box), I found that, 1) I could not ping www.unix.org, but 2) I
could find their IPA using dnsqr (a utility from Dan Bernstein). I
checked the firewall configuration which appeared to be correct for my
setup.

I had started looking at the results of calling ifconfig, but nothing
looked out of place initially. So I took a final look, calling ifconfig
again after restarting shorewall and the DSL(ppp0) interface. This time
I noticed the mask for eth1 was not correct. At one time I had used the
"dummy" IPA of 10.0.0.1 with mask of 255.0.0.0. For some reason, I
changed it back to the 192.168.x.x series but did not change the mask. I
changed the mask to 255.255.255.0 and surprise, I pinged www.unix.org.

Now, who can lead me to an understanding of what was happening here?

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing