Re: 64-bit linux?

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 19:42:51 AKST

On Monday 08 November 2004 02:38 pm, Ayden wrote:
> Only if you want 64bit capabilities, right? Otherwise, a regular
> distribution should run,
> correct?
>
> whitham
>
> On Nov 8, 2004, at 8:11 AM, Greg Madden wrote:
> > On Sunday 07 November 2004 05:06 pm, Keeper Nott wrote:
> >> Does anyone know if the newer releases of mandrake linux work with
> >> the amd 3500+ 64-bit processor? I noticed that mandrake offered a
> >> "10.0 official amd 64-bit edition", does that mean that mandrake
> >> will not run on a 64-bit processor unless I buy a copy
> >> specifically configured to do so? If amndrake doesn't run on
> >> 64-bit, then what versions of linux do? I am really new to 64-bit
> >> and a lot of it is really vague to me so any help would be much
> >> appreciated.
> >
> > You need a distro specifically for amd64. Suse come this way, both
> > i386 & amd64 on sparate media, in the Professional edition. I don't
> > know if Mandrake does this but a quick visit to their web site
> > should help.

If I understand your question, the AMD64 cpu is also 32 bit compatible,
you can run 32 bit apps. I am not the best source though since I do not
have a AMD 64 but you need to run the OS that is compiled for whatever
the architecture is, i.e., 32 bit apps will run on a 64 bit
architecture.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.