Gentoo long term (was Re: Most upgradeable distro?)

From: <bryan@ak.net>
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 01:34:08 AKST

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:10:36PM +0000, Justin Dieters <enderak@mtaonline.net> wrote:
> I third it. Gentoo's emerge is great. In fact, once you install any
> gentoo system, there is no real reason to upgrade to a newer release, as
> emerge will give you the same updated packages as a newer version.

How does gentoo handle major glibc upgrades? I've always been a
slackware user, but my installed glibc is so old that I can't use
up-to-date binary packages. (And no, I can't upgrade glibc --
I tried.) I'm planning to switch to gentoo, and the question I'm
asking now is how distributions handle major glibc upgrades. I
don't want to switch to another distro and end up with the same
long-term maintainability problem.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net