Re: Most upgradeable distro?

From: Russ Gray <russcathy@gci.net>
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 07:07:47 AKST

On Saturday 06 November 2004 10:07 pm, Scott Johnson wrote:
> Is there such a thing?
>
> What are some opinions of which distro would be the easiest to keep
> current? I define easy as non-compiling, non-options tracking... RH
> used to have up2date.... my FreeBSD box is pretty simple with it's
> system installer.... how do other distro's compare?

My vote is for pclinuxos. It's derived from Mandrake, but (unlike many
versions of Mandrake) everything works pretty much as promised. It comes on
a livecd with a script for installing it to your hard drive. Once you
install it, you use apt or synaptic to keep it updated. I've kept my system
pretty current for over a year.

www.pclinuxonline.com has a link to the distro download. Support is through
forums on that site. The distro is non-commercial, and is run and maintained
by one very dedicated individual.

Good Luck.

Russ