Re: ATA over Ethernet

From: ben.everitt <ben.everitt@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 10:45:08 AKDT

In some of the older drives (good ol' 540's), you could swap controller
boards between scsi and IDE. The pin interfaces on the hd cartridge were
the same and the drives would work........long enough to grab necessary
data off from it that is. I did not try long term use. If that's the
case, then the actual platters, motor and machanics phisically are
identical - barring the server class high-speed specialty drives of
modern day.

I think the point is comparing the 10k LV drives of today that are
spec'd out better than the bargin $50 7200 RPM units. The 10k's
would/should have better bearings and such to keep up with the
performance requirements. Thought, things may be evening out once again
since HD manufacturer's are backing their IDE products for a full 3
years again.

-Ben