Re: Maintaining the Salvation Army terminal server

From: Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 10:21:42 AKDT

KURT BRENDGARD wrote:
<snip>

> yes, i know, you prob
>have it plugged into a surge protector. trouble is,
>most surge protectors only last at most 6-12 months in
>anchorage, then the protection is gone, all you have
>left is a power strip, no protection. most are built
>on a depletive type technology, every time it gets hit
>with a spike, it witles a little bit away at it. in
>someplace like california they get hit with a spike
>every couple of weeks or so, and the surge protectors
>are good for a couple of years.

<snip>
California has plenty of power issues. You may not *notice* them, but
they are there. The quality of your power has more to do with the
grid/setup your on than the individual state. In Michigan, the quote
was "21 power issues a day" at a nearby store. That's a lot of
'issues'; but most of those won't reboot or kill your computer. I lived
in CA for... 12 years? And noticed my fair share of power issues.
Certainly CA with it's overtaxed electrical system would have more power
issues than a place where power usage is normal.

Adam