Re: Maintaining the Salvation Army terminal server

From: KURT BRENDGARD <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 10:09:14 AKDT

i have a suspicion that what happened to you is what
has happened to me i dont know how any times.
anchorage (alaska in general) has extremly dirty power
coming down the power lines. yes, i know, you prob
have it plugged into a surge protector. trouble is,
most surge protectors only last at most 6-12 months in
anchorage, then the protection is gone, all you have
left is a power strip, no protection. most are built
on a depletive type technology, every time it gets hit
with a spike, it witles a little bit away at it. in
someplace like california they get hit with a spike
every couple of weeks or so, and the surge protectors
are good for a couple of years. in anchorage, its
about 6-12 times every day im told. they dont last
long under those circumstances. there is a good line
that lasts though, im told the military uses them and
they are build differently, a brand called
transtector. harry used to carry them at alaska used
computers back when i worked there, lou at alaska
micro systems might also still carry them. trouble is
they start out at like $125 and up. well worth it
though if you can afford it and really need to protect
something from anchorage power. i never could aford
them and my boxes were alway frankenstien monsters
that were old and slow, free parts i scrounged up.
when a spike comes down while loading an os it can
scramble something in the load. all i could do is wipe
it clean and reload. usualy that worked good unless
there was something wrong with the hardware. i dont
know how many times ive had that happen.

                kurt