Re: Maintaining the Salvation Army terminal server

From: KURT BRENDGARD <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 10:41:06 AKDT

ouch. well i will have to defer to your experience
then, i have never been to california lol. this is
something i learned probably 10 years ago. i may
remember it wrong or it may have changed. however, not
all power issues will be noticed. most are not im
told. but even it it doesnt make a computer reboot, it
can still raise the voltages in the motherboard,
memory, hd heads/spindles, etc enough to cause a
problem with a file (ie that new kernal) thats being
writen at the time. too high a voltage, the hd arm
swings too far, the file is written just far enough
off the track to cause a prob etc. or lower it if its
a low voltage type. the computers power supply does
filter a lot of this out, but if it caught all of it,
we wouldnt need surge protectors and battry back ups.

granted, im not an electrical engineer, (i can barely
spell elllllectizity ;) )but this is what ive been
told by the experts. if im wrong, somebody please tell
me. hey stanley, am i off my rocker in this? your the
electrical genious of the group, what you say? im
curious now lol.

                 kurt