hard drive recovery...

From: Clay Scott <rudeboy@gci.net>
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 18:06:27 AKDT

i'm interested in advice from people on the list who have experienced hard drive failures. my western digital 100gb drive started making noises that no hard drive should make on wednesday. i turned off the machine let it sit overnight and it seemed all was well. i left the machine off for a few days when the drive started making noises again. i was holding out until i got paid on friday to go out and get a new one, but, sadly, it couldn't hold out that long. out of all of the drives in the machine this was my /home and the most important one. i've since gotten a 200gb replacement, but i can't seem to get the drive to be detected properly so i can copy the data from it.

i'm not sure what my options are. i really need to get this data back and letting it sit un-powered isn't cutting it anymore. what have you guys done, if anything, to recover data from a dead or dying hard drive or to get a not-quite-dead drive to at least run for a short time to copy some data?

~clay