Re: Maintaining the Salvation Army terminal server

From: Ayden <whitty@reeve.com>
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 21:54:10 AKDT

I love slack aswell, 9.1 it was...there was nothing i couldn't do with
9.1, it was like the, "uber-fuck-all" system, never crashed a single
time. But when i installed 10.0 one night, within the first hour i had
already crashed xorg. From then on, it crashed around once every 2
days.. There were some errors that i felt were kind of silly, like if
you wanted to run mozilla from the binary: mozilla-bin, you couldn't do
it. I had several custom scripts that would pass options to the binary,
so this alarmed me. Finally it took me adding the libs to ld.so.conf
and running ldconfig, or, making a link between
/usr/lib/mozilla-something and /usr/lib/mozilla so that it could find
the correct libs.

It was just little things such as that, i got the over all impression
that it was rushed, very little testing before it was released. I did
trouble shoot, but i was never able to figure out the reason i was
having so many troubles with crashing. I checked the md5sums of the
cds, they checked out, i tested my memory with memtest86+ it checked
out. There wasn't any errors that i could see of, just seg faults. The
only thing i can think of, it may have been trouble with optimizations.
However, i do not deal with slackware 10 any more.... I'm an OS X man
now!

whitham