Re: kernel 2.2.6 sandbox

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 05:47:11 AKDT

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:34:15 -0800
Enkidu <enkidu@bastardsonofgod.com> wrote:

> I have recently acquired an old Gateway with a 486 dx2-50 at the heart of it.
> I have installed tiny/slack 4 which comes with kernel 2.2.6 and the a-series
> packages. I want to compile more support into the kernel for it, but I want
> to do it on my athlon box. Unfortunately, most of the declarations are
> outdated and it won't compile. Is it possible to install slack 4 in a subdir
> on my main machine, load kernel 2.2.6 from lilo and have it chroot to that
> directory? That way I can compile the modules and the new kernel in a native
> 2.2.6 environment. Thanks,
>
> Enkidu

Hmm. You shouldn't have to run such an outdated distribution on the machine. How much memory do you have on the 486? What type is it (72 pin SIMMs)?

I have a pair of 486 dx2-50 laptops running Debian 3.0 (2.4.18 last time I powered that one up) and OpenBSD 3.3. They've got 16 and 32MB of RAM each. Finding memory for old laptops is a little harder than finding memory for old desktops. If you upgrade your memory to 16MB, you can run the Debian 3.0 installer. With 32 or even 64MB of RAM, you should have no problem running most installers, maybe even in X mode.

If you're going to use the 486 for a firewall, then I'd suggest a newer kernel anyway so you can use iptables/netfilter instead of ipchains.

Cheers,

James