Re: dvdrtools (dvdrecord) vs. dvd+rw-tools

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 15:48:46 AKDT

On Thursday 29 July 2004 08:30 am, Justin Dieters wrote:
> I just got a Sony DVD+/-RW+/-R drive that I am planning on installing
> on a RedHat 9 system. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping for
> the smoothest path possible.
>
> My main question is this: I have seen dvdrtools
> (http://machiel.generaal.net/index.php?subject=dvdrtools) before, but
> in my searching I have also come across something called dvd+rw-tools
> (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/) and I'm not real clear
> on what dvd+rw-tools would be used for that dvdrecord could not be
> used for. I'm hoping someone with Linux DVD recording experience
> could shed some light.
>
> All I need the DVD drive for is data storage - so, DVD video, audio,
> etc is not a factor. I purchased DVD+R discs, though I can exchange
> them for DVD-R if someone knows something I don't about the
> differences (which is likely).
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

I use dvdrecord on my main workstation, only because it works, afaik, it
is not supported anymore. The dvd+rw-tools is what k3b uses to record
dvd's. K3B is a kde app and works very well if you like using a gui to
burn. You can probably use dvd+rw-tools fro the command line but I
haven't tried that. Dvd+rw-tools can use both +r &-r disks to record
along with the newer hardware, like the Sony, makes for a flexable
setup.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.