dvdrtools (dvdrecord) vs. dvd+rw-tools

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 08:30:39 AKDT

I just got a Sony DVD+/-RW+/-R drive that I am planning on installing on a RedHat 9 system. I haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping for the smoothest path possible.

My main question is this: I have seen dvdrtools (http://machiel.generaal.net/index.php?subject=dvdrtools) before, but in my searching I have also come across something called dvd+rw-tools (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/) and I'm not real clear on what dvd+rw-tools would be used for that dvdrecord could not be used for. I'm hoping someone with Linux DVD recording experience could shed some light.

All I need the DVD drive for is data storage - so, DVD video, audio, etc is not a factor. I purchased DVD+R discs, though I can exchange them for DVD-R if someone knows something I don't about the differences (which is likely).

Thanks,
Justin