Winmodem?

From: Stephen King <sking@chartercollege.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 10:44:47 AKDT

OK...I'm rapidly coming to believe that it is easier to make a laptop
levitate than to get the Linux desktop (Xandros 2.0, in this case) to
recognize the winmodem that came installed in it. I've gone to the
Xandros support site and several posts say "Oh, yeah, it works
great...just load this driver..." (different drivers each time) and I've
loaded the drivers, but still it's coming up as a no. Since I'm not
looking forward to explaining to non-technical clients that the 'win' in
winmodem means Linux doesn't like it...anybody have any ideas? The
really painful part is that it's a dual-boot machine between Xandros and
XP...modem works beautifully in XP. Grrrr....

Thanks to the person who suggested the 'man cdrecord'; gave me some good
info but didn't work. The clients are enjoying their Windows machines'
ability to write directly to a CD as though it were a floppy. The
Windows app is called InCD. My experiences with cdrecord have resulted
in long command lines, having to know which track the file is on, and
corrupting the CD in the end. I did find a udf writing app from
sourceforge that I'll try today...wish me luck.

Oh, yeah, and more experience (experience being what you got when you
didn't get what you wanted)...never ever install a distro without the
"Developer Tools" (i.e., gcc) no matter what level user is gonna be
running it. Invariably you need a driver, a Novell client, or an
upgrade to a program which is only available in source. Then you have
to find gcc, which AFAIK is also only available in source, and so you
wish you had a compiled compiler to compile the compiler. Bad root. No
cookie. =20

Stephen King
Instructor, Information Technology
Charter College
2221 E. Northern Lights Suite 120
Anchorage, AK 99508
(907) 777-1370
=20
"I don't want Linux to work like Windows. I just want it to work, like
Windows."