Re: spyware question

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 17:31:31 AKDT

On 6/25/2004 4:25 PM, captgoodnight@acsalaska.net wrote:

> I've generally found they do respond to "service" questions. Try to
> contact their security admins and it's a whole different story.
> They're busy...

This is understatement. :) The guys over there work feverishly to
keep up with the abuse queue, and there's so much noise that resists
procmail/SIEVE/other filtering that they have to do some serious
triage just to keep up. We're working on stemming the tide so that
the queue is smaller, but it's an uphill battle.

That being said, dropping a note straight to abuse@acsalaska.net with
a meaningful subject line will increase your chances of getting heard.
You probably already did so -- in which case the issue is probably
just time. If we get complaints from 300 people that one of our
customers is infected or compromised, we'll move to enforce our AUP/ToS
and/or help them get untangled, but can't always reply to all of the
complaints. If you get another hit a few days later from the same IP,
a follow-up is certainly warranted.

The short answer: we usually *are* spanking them -- we're just not
sending you the photos. :)

> Anyhow, not to digress, but using to many acronyms with phone support
> usually confuses them. I'm kinda surprised ya got NNTP (a news feed)
> past them...lol. :) Here's an exercise for ya, when talking to phone
> support, use only acronyms, and listen to the confusion. lololol j/k

In their defense, these folks are usually geared to handle Grandma,
not y'all. Couple that with the high turnover, and it may sometimes be
hard to get a one-off issue across so that it can be properly escalated.

Senior techs and the leads on first line do have the power to escalate.
If you have an issue that you think warrants flapping the core admin
team, and you can't get the concept across, ask to speak to a lead.
They're usually able to parse it out and get it to us in relatively
short order.

Sorry for the unthreaded reply; I've been archive-lurking but wasn't
subscribed until about five minutes ago.

Also note that my opinions are my own, and not those of my employer;
I am speaking only for myself.

-royce