Re: spyware question

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 23:25:18 AKDT

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 17:31, Royce Williams wrote:
> On 6/25/2004 4:25 PM, captgoodnight@acsalaska.net wrote:
>
> > I've generally found they do respond to "service" questions. Try to
> > contact their security admins and it's a whole different story.
> > They're busy...
>
> This is understatement. :) The guys over there work feverishly to
> keep up with the abuse queue, and there's so much noise that resists
> procmail/SIEVE/other filtering that they have to do some serious
> triage just to keep up. We're working on stemming the tide so that
> the queue is smaller, but it's an uphill battle.

Hmm.. Well e-mail from mymail.acsalaska.net takes several hours to make
it through filters. It's sound like a real uphill battle.

> That being said, dropping a note straight to abuse@acsalaska.net with
> a meaningful subject line will increase your chances of getting heard.
> You probably already did so -- in which case the issue is probably
> just time. If we get complaints from 300 people that one of our
> customers is infected or compromised, we'll move to enforce our AUP/ToS
> and/or help them get untangled, but can't always reply to all of the
> complaints. If you get another hit a few days later from the same IP,
> a follow-up is certainly warranted.

That's good news. GCI doesn't stop users on the network from send abuse
regardless of how many times a week I have send notes.

> The short answer: we usually *are* spanking them -- we're just not
> sending you the photos. :)

Again, thanks.

> > Anyhow, not to digress, but using to many acronyms with phone support
> > usually confuses them. I'm kinda surprised ya got NNTP (a news feed)
> > past them...lol. :) Here's an exercise for ya, when talking to phone
> > support, use only acronyms, and listen to the confusion. lololol j/k

ACS Technical help for me was excellent. Every time I have called.

> In their defense, these folks are usually geared to handle Grandma,
> not y'all. Couple that with the high turnover, and it may sometimes be
> hard to get a one-off issue across so that it can be properly escalated.
>
> Senior techs and the leads on first line do have the power to escalate.
> If you have an issue that you think warrants flapping the core admin
> team, and you can't get the concept across, ask to speak to a lead.
> They're usually able to parse it out and get it to us in relatively
> short order.
>
> Sorry for the unthreaded reply; I've been archive-lurking but wasn't
> subscribed until about five minutes ago.
>
> Also note that my opinions are my own, and not those of my employer;
> I am speaking only for myself.

I am speaking with my own opinions and that of my employer. Oh yea, I am
my employer :-)

Dee

Alaska Wireless Systems