file naming length conventions

From: Jim Dory <jdory@gci.net>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 10:38:20 AKDT

I just did some googling trying to find a good argument for restricting
the length of user filenames. MS Word allows you to save a document with
a name using the complete first sentence of the doc and some users are
doing that. Ugh!

I haven't really found a good webpage resource yet that puts anything in
layman terms, or even a necessarily good reason to avoid long names now.
I sense that it is not good, but I don't really know how to put it in
words. Figured some sysadmin types out there might have some compelling
arguments or thoughts. One problem I have thought of is using wildcards
to sort or otherwise process files becomes broken rather quickly with
these huge names, but the users in many cases are putting unique
identifiers at the start of the name (such as a resolution number or
date) so wildcards could work in that case.

Another problem is if I ever have to put these on the webpage- having
filenames with spaces and just the messiness of the html code with huge
names seems wrong.. but not sure how to make that argument to users.

Any good resources or suggestions out there to look at?

appreciate any help, thanks, Jim