OT: network monitoring

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 11:18:00 AKDT

For some of you network savvy folks...

I need to set up a system to monitor the health and wellbeing of a mixed
network of solaris 2.5.1, cisco switches and routers, windows 2000
machines of various fixpak levels, and some linux boxen. The network
media is fiber and twisted pair. Physical locations are dispersed
throughout the city over multiple subnets. =20

I've always done this kind of thing piecemeal, but now there is money to
'do-it-right'. So I'm looking for suggestions on equipment and/or
software to assist in this. =20

Thanks!