Re: Connectivity test : Let me get this straight a second...

From: Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 06:34:27 AKDT

someone wrote:

>In Los Anchorage your best choice for unmetered is ACS used to be MTA
>but they capped a year ago at 10 gigs $15 per gig above that gci has 10
>gig with $20 per gig over acs DSL offers like a 768/128 or somesuch
>NO limit

I talked with GCI yesterday. Didn't get a chance to talk with ACS.
When I talked to GCI residential, he made it sound as if I had a total
amount of transfer on my cable modem that I could do. Depending on the
'tier', I could download/upload more whatever.
When I talked with GCI business, they mentioned transfer, but it was for
a WEB SITE. From what I gathered, they were referring to transfer on
your web site.

Which is it? Does residential have an actual cap on transfer for your
CM, and business not? Or was I getting conflicting info from them?

I personally find it atrocious that they cap transfer. For goodness'
sakes! I downloaded probably 10 GB in one day the other day. 20 bucks a
gigabyte is EXPENSIVE when I can download that in no time at all.

I work from home all day. I stream music, I download ISO images, I have
SCP sessions running, I have SSH running all day. I don't want to find
out that I'm 50 GB over some month and find out I own them a ton of money.

If anyone can shed light - or maybe tell me about how ACS 768/128 is,
I'd like to know.

Just FYI, right now I have ~3 Mbit down/256k up (420kbytes/sec by 28
kbytes/sec) for 60 bucks a month (45 if I had cable TV). For 2.4
Mbit/256 on gci, I'm soaked 170...

Adam

Adam