Re: Connectivity test : Let me get this straight a second...

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 09:00:37 AKDT

* Adam Bultman <adamb@glaven.org> [2004-05-18 06:35 -0800]:
> I personally find it atrocious that they cap transfer. For goodness'
> sakes! I downloaded probably 10 GB in one day the other day. 20 bucks
> a gigabyte is EXPENSIVE when I can download that in no time at all.
>
> I work from home all day. I stream music, I download ISO images, I
> have SCP sessions running, I have SSH running all day. I don't want to
> find out that I'm 50 GB over some month and find out I own them a ton
> of money.

Having used both ACS and GCI (DSL and Cable modem, respectively) I
haven't noticed a big difference in the speed/latency of either.
Looking at your usage, I'd say that ACS would probably be your best bet,
as it looks like you'll be using more than the cap that GCI puts on your
usage. Also, remember that both companies offer discounts if you use
their long distance service.

> If anyone can shed light - or maybe tell me about how ACS 768/128 is,
> I'd like to know.

I was very happy with ACS' DSL, and didn't have to stick with the
768/128, I signed up for the 1.2m/320k program on this page:

<http://www.acsalaska.com/business/b-internet/b-i-services/dsl/smartnet-area1.stm>

> Just FYI, right now I have ~3 Mbit down/256k up (420kbytes/sec by 28
> kbytes/sec) for 60 bucks a month (45 if I had cable TV). For 2.4
> Mbit/256 on gci, I'm soaked 170...

I'd love to have that type of bandwidth available. Hopefully I'll have
something like it in Germany. ;]

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]