Re: Program??

From: Tim Jordan <timothy_jordan@labor.state.ak.us>
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 14:55:32 AKDT

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 13:25, Matthew Dunaway wrote:

> Does anybody know of a program for Linux that will clean up junk/temp
> files? I have no idea what such a program would be called, so that makes
> it harder for me to try and find something. I would also like to be able
> to uninstall programs, too.

Suse has an established way of installing and removing applications. I
don't recall the name of the program...I know Stanley uses Suse.

> Trying to get a grip on system/file maintenance as I am going to
> purchase SUSE 9.1 Pro, and will be getting rid of Windows.
> I have downloaded and installed a few different programs for SUSE, but
> some of them won't run. No dependency problems or anything like that,
> just won't run. I followed all read me files but still no go. The latest
> non running program is Povray. I downloaded the SUSE 9.0 RPM and it
> won't run. I am at a loss on what to do. I followed all the
> instructions, but nothing.
> That is why I would like to be able to uninstall programs. I have no
> idea how to accomplish this. :-)

I struggled with things like this when I first started. Perhaps you
need to check permissions before trying to install the rpm's (which I
assume your doing from the shell since you asked about a package
manager). If the program is installed - Do you know where it is on your
box? How are you attempting to start the application? What are the
permissions associated with the applications is question?

It will do you a lot of good to get use to the rpm command in the
shell. Try reading the man pages you will see the way to uninstall
(erase), etc....

It is frustrating at first to get things going smoothly under Linux when
your just starting. I highly suggest you read everything you can about
system administration under Suse. If you sure that your "flavor". I
found myself going through several distro's and found that support is
best for Debian. Not to mention package management is just *to easy*
under Debian.

Good Luck,
TJ