Re: event notifications?

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Apr 29 2004 - 19:07:47 AKDT

On Thursday 29 April 2004 04:17 pm, jgribbin@alaska.net wrote:
> Doesn't the shutdown script use a tool for notifying all logged users about
> an impending shutdown? I don't remember what it's called offhand, but it
> seems like you should be able to use the same tool for this purpose. If you
> want to only send to users at a particular box you might need to filter for
> @box-name. Jim Gribbin

shutdown's -k option.

> > Is there an easy way that I can, from a shell prompt on my linux box,
> > send a message to a machine, and have that message pop up on the
> > screenno matter who's logged onto the screen, what screen it is,
> > or even if
> > anyone is logged into it? Ideally this would be work for linux,
> > solarisor W2000 receiving boxes.
> >
> > I've had a look at winpopup/linpopup/smbclient, but it seems to target
> > usernames, rather than just machinenames, that is, if myusername
> > on BOXB
> > sends a message to BOXA, if myusername isn't logged in on BOXA, the
> > message delivery fails.

1-Tricky, I'm thinking netcat and wall. Have netcat listen and wall do the popup. Now for the M$ box, hmmm.
Maybe there's a netcat for M$? Ya could also use gmessage or xmessage for the popup too.

2-Maybe a quick ssh command that passes a message off to a script on the receiving end.? Again, to wall or x/gmessage.

The netcat and wall will work for sure, but is kinda a security issue if not implemented correctly.

ideas?

bests,
eddie

cragalaska.com