Re: Switching to Open Office

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 14:52:45 AKDT

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 05:57, Tim Jordan wrote:
> Just got word yesterday that a pilot project (OO vs MSOffice [for state
> employees]) is in the works. Details are minimal as of now - I think
> there looking at who will run the work group.
> I've been asked to configure a handful of linux boxes which need to
> authenticate against the state's LDAP server. At least thats the
> scenerio for the moment....this may change as the LDAP server dictates
> no permissions within each departments domain... I'm already *dreaming*
> of moving away from Active Directory and into an enterprise OpenLDAP
> solution.
>
> I've enjoyed reading the responses from the list. If you or a company
> that you know runs OpenOffice I would love to hear from them.
Open Office works fine here. Most of my problems involve the crank
behind the shaft not having used Word enough to take advantage of all
the tricks. Stuff here gets saved in OO-native format. Incoming .DOCs
are archived, then converted to either OO or Abiword. The only "word"
format ever seen again is something for export to another office.
Outbound .PDF is useful for reports that the recipient doesn't need to
manipulate.

Abiword is so quick that it gets used to generate lots of the original
work. It lacks some of the spiffy tools, but I tend to avoid those
unless they simplify my life or reduce mental effort. :-)

This is a one-horse show, and the products are construction design
documents. More and more, the correspondence format is "email", and
plain text is efficient for LOTS of that. I confess to not (yet) knowing
how to translave winmail.dat

A digital camera, a good scanner, "xv" for snipping catalog info off web
pages, and a CAD package with easy PDF output make life worthwhile.

Stanley Long, PE
Consulting Electrical Engineer
Anchorage

> Thanks for the article Andy!