RE: Switching to Open Office

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 19:08:35 AKDT

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 15:23, Damien Hull wrote:
> The problem I have with Linux on the desktop is more end user related
> then anything else. I'm trying to start a business of my own. How many
> of my clients will be able to view my Open Office documents with
> formatting? None! Not a single one.

How fancy is your formatting?
Sometimes I get hung up with MS-Word docs coming this way, but seldom
get complaints from architects or contractors about my work when I keep
things simple. Mine is still version 1.1 per SuSE 9 distro.

> I could save them as a PDF but I've had problems with that as well. I
> took an Open Office created PDF to Kinko's to have it printed. They
> could read the file but for some reason they couldn't print it.
>
> It's been my experience that most end users don't understand how
> computers work or why they have to do things a certain way. All they
> care about is that it works. Keep things simple and they are happy.

Very true, and even MS battles this when people don't want to upgrade!
> Tell
> them they have to do this that and the other to view a document that
> they may not be able to change is more then most users can handle.
>
> Open office also has problems opening documents created in Microsoft
> Office.
>
> For my business needs it's MS Office. Not because I want to but because
> I have no choice.

Greg Madden and I had a discussion about getting someone with real
office skills to participate in a worksession to bring some of us up to
speed. 9-Star has the classroom, and we have Knoppix CDs w/ OpenOffice.

        [ clipped ]