RE: Switching to Open Office

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 15:23:46 AKDT

The problem I have with Linux on the desktop is more end user related
then anything else. I'm trying to start a business of my own. How many
of my clients will be able to view my Open Office documents with
formatting? None! Not a single one.

I could save them as a PDF but I've had problems with that as well. I
took an Open Office created PDF to Kinko's to have it printed. They
could read the file but for some reason they couldn't print it.

It's been my experience that most end users don't understand how
computers work or why they have to do things a certain way. All they
care about is that it works. Keep things simple and they are happy. Tell
them they have to do this that and the other to view a document that
they may not be able to change is more then most users can handle.

Open office also has problems opening documents created in Microsoft
Office.

For my business needs it's MS Office. Not because I want to but because
I have no choice.