Re: Distro question

From: Russ Gray <russcathy@gci.net>
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 15:54:05 AKDT

I don't have any experience with Xandros, but another distro that is
desktop-centered is PCLinuxOS. I'm running it right now. It's still in the
beta state, but is very stable. It requires 256mb of RAM or it won't run.
Best thing about it is it's a live cd similar to Knoppix, so you can try it
out before installing, without touching the hard drive. Installation is
fairly simple, although I would recommend reading the release notes.

The reasons for using this distro over Xandros (or any other) are 1) it looks
great, runs great, and is very easily upgraded; 2) it is based on Mandrake,
which is a very desktop-centered distro to begin with; 3) it is designed and
created by Texstar, who has a very good reputation for quality .rpm packages
for Mandrake and who finally started a distro all his own; and, most
importantly, 4) it has a vibrant community which provides excellent, quick
support.

Download link can be found at www.pclinuxonline.com. Help from the developer
can be had in the forums (chances are your problem has already been addressed
there). Development is rapidly progressing.

HTH

Russ