Re: "Sharing" files in Linux

From: mbox mbarsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 21:27:04 AKDT

OK...all these points are good ones, so I will try and state what I am
looking for and make it a little clearer.

Firstly, I think part of my question was answered by the 30 or less
computers get a honkin' server and 30 X terminals.

Tim touched on some of the need about talking about LDAP and Samba, but
what I was trying to figure out was if I had ONLY linux computers.
Tim's answer is the first answer I thought of in a mixed environment. I
will be going to OSX server training this week and I will get some
insight on what Apple thinks about things.

Karl was asking about what a workgroup was...clearly he has been far
away from the Windows world....just kidding. Anyway, what I was
referring to is Microsoft's idea of a workgroup....5 - 10 computers all
connected together with no particular "server" machine. Personally, I
have never really seen this work very well because people forget which
machine they saved their data on or someone reboots their workstation
because of some problem they are working on, and clobber the other users
files.

But from a purely, let's get together and share files standpoint, I was
considering a workgroup as 5 - 10 computers sitting powered up for a
specific amount of time. This implies that some of the computers in the
workgroup WOULD disappear and other, different computers would appear.

So, since most of my question has been answered, how about we talk about
this:

What are some way's to connect many people from disparate locations,
using only Linux computers, that may or may not be affiliated.
Obviously the web comes to mind, but I am talking about file sharing and
collaborating on a project that is PRIVATE to said individuals.

I am probably missing something obvious.

Mike