Re: "Sharing" files in Linux

From: Dan Wolf <dan-wolf@gci.net>
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 06:02:49 AKDT

<opinion>
Now that you have stated the parameters of ;
Many people (who join and un join?)
Disparate locations (time zone issues)
All running Linux

This strays away from the tight definition of a workgroup. Which is
generally thought to be a group of local (lan segment) peered computers
which are connected in a non central autority mode and able to share common
resources.

It seems to me you are now describing what is at the most a very loosely
coupled workgroup. Because the members may come and go there is a need for a
central (always available) server.
From the above it seems your best solution is a web based CMS such as PLONE
and possibly an add on IM server. Documents and files can be shared and
revision managed and the CMS can be set up to operate with as much or little
security as possible.
</opinion>
~Dan