Re: "Sharing" files in Linux

From: Mac Mason <macmasta@ak.net>
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 20:15:35 AKDT

At school, we have something very similar to this; we have ~30 machines
(all solaris boxes; our main all-purpose box, 30-odd workstations, our
web server, etc) sharing one /usr/local that stored on a netapp filer.
Almost everything runs from there, and is plenty fast. Also relevant, we
store all the home directories on the same filer, and mount them on an
as-needed basis using autofs. (That is, when I'm not logged into a
workstation, /home/me isn't mounted; when I log in, it mounts it for me,
and when I log out, it unmounts it)

The really nice thing about this is that home directories are extremely
portable; most of our machines are solaris-on-sparc, but we have a
debian-on-IA32 machine that does the same autofs trick; good for moving
files around, although my ~/local doesn't work too well, for obvious
reasons.

Also, we use NAST to maintain password and user information across the
whole cluster; the result is that we have a very smooth system indeed.

        --Mac