Re: "Sharing" files in Linux

From: damien hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 10:58:37 AKDT

Are you doing this for Windows or Linux workstations?

If it's Windows workstations then Samba. If it's Linux workstations you could
use NFS and NIS+, NFS & LDAP or samba. There are problems with NFS and Samba.

NFS only allows three types of access.
1. Owner
2. Group
3. Everyone else

This will not work in an enterprise situation. What do I do if more then one
group wants access to the same directory? I'm SOL!

Samba is better but it also has problems. It doesn't work well in large
networks. That's what the samba people say.

I hate to say this but from where I sit Windows is the better option when
dealing with enterprise networks.